I recently learned about HelpAReporter.com from my sister. I co-own an online dress store with her. I don’t know anything about fashion so she creates the dresses and writes the blog while I do the promotion and marketing.
I was surprised when she told me that our dresses were going to be covered on a popular site for women. She doesn’t like to do marketing so I asked her how she got this great buzz. She told me she found the lead through HelpAReporter.com.
How Does HelpAReporter.com Work?
HelpAReporter.com works very simply. Basically, you sign up with your email address and then you’re added to a mailing list. You’ll get 1-3 emails a day with queries from reporters.
Many of these reporters are website owners looking for content. If your content fits what they are looking for, your content will be published on their site and you’ll also get a link back. Some of the website owners are even looking for products to feature.
Here are a couple queries from a recent email:
- A major news company is looking for a story about regional banks.
- A career site geared for women wants business people to share their opinion regarding women’s fashion in the corporate office world.
- A blog about moms is looking for tips and products that can help families get control of their finances in 2009.
- A mainstream health magazine is looking for anecdotes about yoga and fitness.
- A health care site wants to interview a networking expert about common networking mistakes.
- A regional publication wants your opinion on the play of a high-profile college basketball team.
- A city magazine is looking for recommendations on local art galleries.
- A foodie podcaster wants to interview professional cooks, chefs, cookbook authors or food industry insiders.
As you can tell, each email will cover many different industries. Unless you’re in a totally obscure niche, you should be able to find a query (or two) that fits your business within a week.
Who Will Benefit From HelpAReporter.com?
I think any business can benefit from HelpAReporter.com. It’s especially a great tool for business owners that don’t like to do marketing. Marketing is usually all about getting out there and promoting your site. However, HelpAReporter.com is different because the reporters are coming to you with their requests.
You’ll get up to three emails a day. Each email will have around 15-30 queries. The title of the emails will start with “[shankman.com]” so you can easily tell which emails are from HelpAReporter.com.
Over to You
Have you used HelpAReporter.com before? If you have, what did you think of it? If you haven’t and want another channel for promoting your site, check it out and please let me know what you think. Thanks!